Construction Cost Estimator Job at G.M. Hill Engineering, Inc. – Jacksonville, FL
Construction Cost Estimator
Title: Construction Cost Estimator
Reports to: Director of Construction
Location: Jacksonville, FL / Supporting Projects Nationwide
Safety Sensitive: Yes
Travel: 25% Local Travel with occasional trips to project
G.M. Hill Engineering, Inc. (GMHILL), a Women-Owned Small Business and SBA 8(a) design-build firm based in Jacksonville, FL, has a 10-15-year history of providing clients with a wide range of engineering, architecture and construction services. We currently hold prime contracts with Department of Defense and Federal Civilian Agencies and have current and completed projects across the central, northeast, mid-Atlantic, southeast and Gulf Coast regions as well as in Texas, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. GMHILL is fully committed to protecting the health and safety of our employees, subcontractors, clients and community, which is why our safety ratings exceed industry average.
Job Summary: The Cost Estimator has responsibility for the creation of budgets and estimates produced by GMHILL. The Cost Estimator is responsible for the oversight of the estimating process for projects bid and awarded in the CONUS (and possibly OCONUS), and will establish standardized procedures, methods and processes for estimating and training estimating resources in the use of the same.
The Cost Estimator will oversee analysis of past performance on projects and establish estimating standards for all future estimates based on such analysis, and assist in oversight of the historical cost database and bid management and estimating software. The Cost Estimator works with the President, Director of Construction, Program Manager, Sr. Project Manager and other senior staff to ensure department standards for deliverables such as bid packages, deliverable formats and budget tracking tools are consistently deployed. The Cost Estimator manages and coordinates the people, software and other resources used to perform the estimating functions. Projects range from fully defined competitive bid to conceptual design-bid-build projects and task orders.
The Cost Estimator is the primary member of the estimating team who has overall responsibility for the creation of project budgets and estimates produced by the business unit, contributing to costing efforts across all business units. The Cost Estimator is responsible for the estimating of projects pursued, bid, and awarded.
The Cost Estimator will provide analysis of past performance on projects and establish / maintain best practice estimating standards for all future estimates based on such analysis, and participate in the development of the historical cost database and assist in oversight of bid management and estimating software. The Cost Estimator shall participate with the Executive Team in the company’s effort to develop procedures, processes, and techniques to improve quality of estimates – generally and per project. The Cost Estimator shall participate with the Executive team and other senior staff to develop and maintain department standards for deliverables such as bid packages, deliverable formats, budget tracking tools, and training estimating resources in the use of the same.
Reporting to the Director of Construction, the Cost Estimator is responsible for the coordination of the people and subcontractors, and the management of software and other resources used to perform the estimating functions. Projects range from fully defined competitive bid to conceptual design-bid-build projects and task orders. Cost Estimator maintains the company bid schedule and coordinates resources to successfully meet deadlines established therein.
- Reviews project plans and specifications and coordinates with the team to confirm complete scope
- Identify risk issues and their order of magnitude and potential mitigation options
- Solicit subcontractor and/or supplier information & pricing
- Prepares instructions to bidders, bid form and other bid solicitation information for sub trades and suppliers as required
- Performs/manages the quantity survey and pricing effort for internal budgets
- Prepares conceptual budgets based on minimal information
- Reviews general conditions, schedule, scopes of work, hoisting plans, site logistics and other exhibits as prepared by Operations
- Ensures the flow of project information is maintained and documented throughout the bid process
- Reviews and/or manages the review and scoping of specialty contractor bids
- Communicates bond and insurance requirements with Director of Construction and their designees
- Coordinates cost estimate proposal requirements with Business Development & Marketing staff
- Reviews constructability issues with operational staff
- Maintains and communicates data on construction and material cost trends affecting project costs
- Analyze alternate means and methods to determine the most economical alternative approach, i.e., value-engineering
- Builds effective relationships with customers, design team, specialty contractors, suppliers, and user groups that reflect and support company core values and meets or exceeds the customer’s expectations
- Work with assigned Project Management staff to transition awarded projects from the estimating phase to the pre-construction phase.
- Assist project personnel on successful proposals as follows:
- Participate in the transfer of information on projects including the Job Kick-off Meeting
- Assist in the preparation and review of work plans as requested
- Participate in periodic reviews and visits to projects as appropriate
- Pricing of change impacts as required
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL and ABILITIES
- Be proficient in all computer software programs used in estimating (e.g., E4Clicks, RS Means, Procore, Bluebeam)
- Possess strong mathematical and computer skills. Proficiency with all MS Office products (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint)
- Expertise with Vertical Construction in federal and private sector estimating and, ideally, experience with civil, environmental, and marine construction
- Ability to breakdown construction operations into a logical sequence of activities
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to professionally communicate the basis for individual work product when in a highly stressed environment
- Ability and willingness to abide by corporate policies daily
- Must be able to meet deadlines and put in the time needed to get the job done
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Must be willing to travel as needed with minimal overnight requirements
- Candidates must possess a strong and honorable work ethic
- Must possess strong organizational, interpersonal skills
- Good attention to detail with the ability to recognize discrepancies and deficiencies
- Security Clearance is a plus.
- Strong commitment to safety and exceptional safety record.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree in engineering, construction management, construction administration, or equivalent related and relevant work experience
- Minimum of 10 years estimating construction projects; 15 years preferred, ideally 5+ years as a Senior Estimator
Disclaimer: This is not to be an exclusive list of all responsibilities’, duties, and skills required of the person in this job. G.M. Hill Engineering, Inc. (GMHILL) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. GMHILL considers all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, religion, age, physical or mental disability, family responsibility, marital status, sexual orientation, political affiliation, veteran’s status or any other legal protected status. Candidate selected must pass a thorough background check (including e-verify) and comply with GMHILL’s Drug and Alcohol policy adhering to pre-employment, random, post-accident and for cause testing.
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Professional development assistance
- Relocation assistance
- Retirement plan
- Construction Estimating: 10 years (Preferred)
About the Company
Company: G.M. Hill Engineering, Inc. –
Company Location: Jacksonville, FL